Solid Waste & Recycling

Curbside Recycling

As part of a regional contract through the Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA), our curbside recycling service are provided by TFC Recycling.
  1. Sept. 13 Curbside Recycling Update

    Curbside recycling bills from the James City County Treasurer’s Office have been mailed and payment is due on Monday, Sept. 16. If you have already notified us that you will be opting out but you still received a bill, please disregard the bill. Read on...
View All

What Are My Recycling Options?

  1. Free curbside recycling available to all County households through Sept. 30, 2019
  2. Free separated recycling drop-off available at all 3 recycling convenience centers
  3. Opt out of recycling
    • Opt out online or call customer service at 757-253-6700.
    • Continue to reduce and reuse packaging waste as much as you can!
    • Leave the cart at the front of your property where it is visible and accessible.

Collection Calendar & Accepted Recyclables

The "My Schedule" feature above displays the recycling collection calendar for all County residential addresses, regardless of enrollment status in the County's curbside recycling program. Call 757-253-6700 for more information or enroll in the County's curbside recycling program to request curbside recycling service.

Curbside Recycling 101

Learn about why we recycle, what we recycle and how we recycle.

Convenience Centers

The County operates 3 convenience centers where residents may drop off trash for disposal or recycling. 

Payment & Fees

Payment coupons are accepted at all convenience centers and may be purchased online. Customers now have the option to use credit cards at all 3 convenience centers to dispose of household trash and yard debris. Please note there is a 2.95% convenience fee for all credit card transactions. For example, if you dispose of 60 gallons of household trash (1 coupon) that equates to $4.12 with the convenience fee. Payment coupons will still be accepted and are available online or from the following locations:

Business Recycling

Businesses are strongly encouraged to recycle in James City County. The 3 convenience centers are available to businesses for recycling drop off, however most businesses arrange their own recycling services with private contractors. So that we can report our recycling rates as required to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, all businesses are asked to complete the Nonresidential Solid Waste Reduction Reporting Form (PDF) annually and return to VPPSA via mail, fax or email per the instructions on the form. Commercial or contractor generated non-recyclable materials must be disposed of at the Transfer Station on Jolly Pond Road.

Curbside Trash Pick-up

The County does not provide curbside trash pick-up. However residents may hire a private company to provide this service. Check with your HOA or property management company to find out if this service is provided in your community.