- Parks & Recreation
- Recreation & Programs
- REC Connect & Teens on Point (T.O.P)
REC Connect and Teens On Point (T.O.P)
Register now for Before & After School Program 2023-24. Registration forms and program information are available for download below under Forms or for pickup at any payment site.
**ALL REC Connect Elementary Summer Camp locations and the Middle School Teens On Point (T.O.P) Summer Camp are FULL. A waitlist has become available.**
All registrations accepted on a first-come, first-served basis according to space availability.
For more information call REC Connect at 757-259-5351.
What is REC Connect and T.O.P?
REC Connect and T.O.P are year-round youth and teen programs that offers safe and enjoyable summer camps, before and after-school and school break experiences. Programs feature educational opportunities, community partnerships, exciting field trips and a variety of fun recreational activities. In addition, all summer camps and before and after-school programs are state-licensed.
Before & After School Program at James River Elementary School will be operated by the Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula. You can access general information about the Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula here.
Inclement Weather/Undue Circumstances Policy
(includes but is not limited to snow, hurricane, tornado, power outage)
If school is delayed: the Before School Program is closed
If school is dismissed early: the After School Program is closed – parents will be responsible for coordinating pick-up arrangements with the WJCC School staff.
When school-related after school activities are canceled: REC Connect programs may still operate on normal schedule. In case of adjusted hours of operation parents would be notified by phone.
If school is closed: the Before & After School Program is closed.
If school is out of session (i.e. during Summer Camp, Winter or Spring Break): Parks & Recreation staff will make a decision on program operation as soon as possible.
Parents should call the REC Connect Information/Inclement Weather Hotline at 757-259-3170 for program operation updates.
Summer Camp Program Fees 2023
- REC Connect and T.O.P*
- Part-time (3 days or less): $100/week, includes field trip fees
- Full-time (4 or 5 days): $120/week, includes field trip fees. $10 discount available for second and subsequent children in the same family attending full time (cannot be combined with any other discounts). Call the James City County Recreation Center at 757- 259-4200, option 0 to pay with sibling discount.
*Fees are subject to change.
An online payment system is available for your convenience.
Discounts are available to any qualified resident based on total income. Read more about our discount program (PDF)
A credit, not a refund, will be issued if there is a change of payment status or no services were rendered due to injury, illness, family emergency, inclement weather. A 10% processing fee will be charged. A credit form must be filled out within 7 days of missed program. Read more about our refund/credit policies
Information on the 2022-2023 Before and After School Program is available in the 2022-2023 REC Connect Parent Handbook (PDF).
- REC Connect - Elementary school: Grades K-5
- Elementary Schools: Clara Byrd Baker, D.J. Montague, J. Blaine Blayton, Laurel Lane, Matoaka, Matthew Whaley, Norge, and Stonehouse
- Before & After School Program at James River Elementary School will be operated by the Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula. Contact the Boys & Girls Club to register for James River at 757-505-8825 or email@example.com.
- Aug. 29, 2022 - End of school year
Date subject to change based on WJCC Public Schools 2022-2023 Academic Calendar.
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- REC Connect - ages 5-10 (must have completed kindergarten)
- T.O.P - 10-14 (10-year-olds going into the 5th grade may register for REC Connect or T.O.P Summer Camp, rising 6th grade must register for T.O.P Summer Camp)
- REC Connect - Elementary Schools
- Clara Byrd Baker, Matthew Whaley (closest to James River school site), Matoaka and Stonehouse (summer school site)
- Teens On Point
- J. Blaine Blayton Elementary School
- June 20 - Aug. 18, 2023 (program closed on June 19 & July 4)
Date subject to change based on WJCC Public Schools 2023-2024 Academic Calendar
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.